Amwell is located on the crest of Sourland Mountain in East Amwell Township, at the border of Hunterdon and Somerset counties. The site was probably settled sometime in the early 19th century. At its height, it included multiple buildings that included a post office/general store, as well as the original site for the Mt Zion AME Church and other sites related to African American history of the region.
Original Mt Zion AME Church Site (Private property): The church was located a short distance from the boundary of Hunterdon and Somerset counties, on what is today Long Hill Rd (on the north side of the road). Land for this church was donated by the Wycoff family who operated a nearby peach orchard. Many African Americans, who attended the church, worked on the Wycoff farm. In the late 1800's a peach blight struck the region which destroyed the orchards which caused many members of the church to move further down the mountain. The present Mt. Zion Church is located on Hollow Road in Skillman through land donated by the Spencer and Corinda True.
Old Syl & Big Lib/Farrier's House Sites (Private property): On the south side of Zion Road lived two African American women, "Big Lib" and " Old Syl", who made peach baskets for the local orchards. Members of the nearby Mt Zion AME Church took up a collection and helped them build a house at this site; the house has long since dissappeared. There is speculation that these women were local African American local legends Sylvia DuBois and her daughter Elizabeth.
Wycoff Store/Post Office (Private property): This property, owned by the Wycoff family, served as both a mid 19th century general store and a post office, which was divided by the Hunterdon/Somerset county boundary line. The store closed in 1895, while the post office closed in the early 20th century. The structure can still be seen where Spring Hill Rd meets with Long Hill/Zion roads.
Harry Put's Tavern Site (Private property): Located about a half mile west of Amwell on Lindbergh Rd, the proprietor of this tavern was a former slave who bought his freedom after the American Revolution by making and selling charcoal in the area. Legend has it that the tavern was frequented by both local blacks and whites, and had a reputation for rowdiness. His daughter, Sylvia DuBois took over the tavern, which burned down in 1840.
John Hart's Cave (Private property): The site of Hart's Cave is also located on Lindebergh Rd, just acros from the Put tavern site. In December 1776, the British advance into New Jersey reached Hunterdon County. John Hart, a New Jersey delegate to the Continental Congress and a resident of Hopewell, was marked man and was forced to escape and hide for a short time on Sourland Mountain, in a rock formation known locally as the Rock House. His Hopewell farm was plundered by British and Hessian troops, but was largely undamaged. Hart returned to his home after Washington's capture of Trenton on December 26.